About Me

My photo
My name is Jessi Joy. In EVE Online I am Naughty Cargo, currently a member of Shadow Cartel. I am a 22-year old Aussie chick who loves playing computer games, being cute and writing. This is part of my story, where I can talk about whatever I want. Welcome to the madhouse!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Making Things Difficult

Before I go off on my rant about Minecraft horses and the lead mechanics (plus a couple other random things, I'm sure), just wanted to share a fun fact with you. EVE Online is made up of 96% male players, to 4% female. Like... wtf? Girls c'mon! We have to up our game! (As I said on NC's twitter :P)

Also, I got 95 page views on my new post. Yummy. ^.^ Thanks to those who check it out.

Anyways... to my point of the day.

In the last update Mojang added a lot of things to Minecraft. One of my favourite ones, because I never could get Mo Creatures to work, was the addition of horses.



The colour variations excited me, the fact you can ride them is even better (even though they are somewhat laggy as shit), and the breeding mechanics are actually very clever. The reason for my discontent though, has become apparent in my recent exploits on the Molden Heath server. (FYI: I really love the MH community ^.^ They're good eggs). 

I've been collecting horses. The aim: to get one of each colour. There are 7 different colours of horse, with 5 different variations within each colour. Then donkeys and mules in addition. So- for those who don't like mental sums like me, that's 37 horses in total. Here's my herd in progress. ALMOST DONE! I have one more horse to find, then a donkey so I can get a mule :)


Horses in Minecraft are like any other passive mob EXCEPT that they only spawn in in Plains or Savannah (new addition) biomes. Thanks to Brando's King's Road, accessing the bigger Plains has made horse moving a lot easier. I'm currently extending the road further, into the more plains bit, instead of having to go cross country back to the desert oasis.


IF ONLY THE LEADS WORKED!!!

The reason for my vexation are the leads. Theoretically, you can lead as many horses as you have leads behind you, either walking or even on another horse. The thing I've discovered is that the lead mechanics are glitchy, and that horses in Minecraft are even more moody than their real life counterparts. And trust me, that means they are MOODY as all fuck!!



They are good at getting themselves stuck on things, fall off things by shoving each other (or me!), getting stuck on things, getting hit by things, and getting stuck on things. The problem with this is that the lead automatically disengages once you get far off the horse... and then FLIES back towards the now lost horse, as opposed to back to you. You then spend a good 5 minutes searching for the lead in the grass or whatever around you, while wishing that the horse who got loose would stop moving ever further away... often, I've discovered, in the most awkward way possible... like further up the cliff we just fell down.


They are good also at getting stuck on stairs- which were added to make moving around EASIER. Horses evidently don't like stairs, so my tactic with these now (if I'm on a horse), is turn around and 'reverse' up the steps. The slower speed seems to work- MOST of the time, so its one way of doing it. It's lengthier, but if you add up this time, compared with the time stopping, looking for the lead, then starting to move on again, it's probably better. In fact, maybe I should just walk backwards down the King's Road all the time...


The other problem is leads are not that reliable keeping horses tethered to fences (what you can tie leads to). Occasionally if I tie one up, I'll come back into game after leaving for a little and for some reason, they're loose. I have yet to find out exactly whether something (or someone) causes this, but its annoying either way- because of the aforementioned wandering habits.

Anyways, rant over. I do love the horses, and I will keep trying to breed them and make them better (I have some high health/power horses I'm intending to breed together to make better stock), so we'll see how this project goes. Either way, I'm sure, again like their rl counterparts, they are going to make life in Minecraft extra interesting.

Here's a couple more random screenshots I like :)





FYI: NEXT POST WILL BE EVE RELATED. I'm gonna tell you all about the inty null roams I've been doing with Altaen and the 7-2 peeps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment